Two Hospitalized as Drivers Face Icy Roads
Police kept plenty busy as drivers have trouble on the roads.
Two people were hospitalized in one of the nearly dozen accidents on Warren streets Tuesday, as a passing storm left snow and ice on township roadways.
The bulk of the accidents reported were the result of drivers loss of control of their vehicles, occurring between 10:30 a.m. and 12:19 p.m. Two other accidents included injuries, which were either treated at the accident scene or untreated.
Deborah Beher, 49, of Basking Ridge, and a juvenile passenger in a vehicle driven by Desiree Amaral-Espadas, 22, of Westfield, were hospitalized after the vehicles they were driving collided on Mountain View Road at 10:52 a.m. when Amaral-Espada lost control of her vehicle.
Injuries were reported after a head-on collision between vehicles driven by Paulino DeJesus-Calcano, 54, of Belleville, and Maria Valladares, 39, of Warren, on Hillcrest Road at 11:09 a.m., however, all parties refused ambulance transportation. DeJesus-Calcano reported losing control of the vehicle he was driving before the accident.
Another head-on collision, on Mountain View Road, was reported at 11:11 a.m., after Navin Geria, 74, of Liberty Corner, reported losing control of the vehicle and hit a vehicle driven by Lori Cohen, 42, of Warren. Atlantic Ambulance responded to the scene also, but all parties refused transportation to a hospital.
Other accidents reported were:
- A single-vehicle accident on Mount Horeb Road, near King George Road, at 10:30 a.m. after Srinivas Bellary, 41, of Edison, reported losing control of the vehicle he was driving and slid off the roadway.
- Ice on Old Stirling Road led to a single vehicle accident at 10:33 a.m., when Lisa Wickey, 44, of Warren, lost control of the vehicle she was driving and went off the road.
- A vehicle driven by Aditya Vishnughotla, 34, of New Brunswick, hit a vehicle driven by Bharat Yadav, 32, of Cateret, while on Colonial Crossing at 11:23 a.m.
- A vehicle driven by Theordore Henschel, 21, of Warren, slid on ice and hit a tree on Dock Watch Hollow at 11:43 a.m.
- At 12:04 p.m., police responded to an accident on Stirling Road, near Stiles Road, after Patricio Guevara-Supe, 44, of North Plainfield, lost control of the vehicle he was driving and went off the road.
- Driver Gerd Ofenleger, 66, of Warren reported losing control of the vehicle he was driving on Deer Path, near Old Smalleytown Road, at 12:19 p.m. and going off the road, due to ice.
- A vehicle driven by Bruce Heyman, 52, of Warren, went off the road on Mountain Avenue, near Wagner Farm Arboretum, at 2:33 p.m. At 4:29 p.m., a vehicle driven by Pamela Rivera, 39, of North Plainfield, also went off the road in the area,striking a guardrail.
No summonses have been issued in any of the accidents at this time.