As a Warren resident for more than 10 years and with six children in our public schools, I know how important our schools are to the Warren community. I would like to continue my commitment to community service by representing my fellow Warren residents on the Watchung Hills Regional High School Board of Education.
I am thankful for the privilege of serving as president of the Warren Township Board of Education for 3 of 6 years, including the last two years. During my six years on the board, I have led or supported a number of critical initiatives to improve our K-8 educational program, including:
- Spearheading the evaluation of our K-8 language program resulting in the addition of the Mandarin language option in the middle school
- Supervising the hire of a new superintendent and business administrator
- Leading the Board through a difficult negotiation of the teacher's contract, maintaining our commitmentto settle a contract within the budget constraints of a 2% annual cap without cutting major programs
- Leading the Board through a challenging decision to return a substantial portion of the unexpected additional extraordinary state aid to the taxpayer in the form of tax relief
- Supporting a new strategy to regularly re-examine professional service contracts on a rotating basis toensure that we are receiving the best value for your taxes
- Representing the district with the Superintendent to identify additional opportunities for shared services among the sending districts and WHRHS
- Supporting the placement of solar panels on the schools in cooperation with Somerset County toreduce our energy costs.
I seek the support of my fellow residents in bringing my passion for excellence in education to our WHRHS BOE. My primary goal is to improve the coordination of programs between schools in order to optimize the preparation of our elementary and middle school students for the high school. I plan to work with the Board to ensure that our children have the best opportunities for success in the high school by facilitating their preparation for the educational programs offered at WHRHS.
I am also committed to supporting athletic programs at the high school. As a soccer and basketball coach over the past five years for the Watchung Hills and Warren recreational programs, I recognize the importance of athletics in the physical and social development of our children. I have already helped enhance the equipment for one of WHRHS athletic programs and want to further improve the athletic opportunities for our children when they enter the high school.
I ask for your support and vote in the November election and am committed to further improving our educational leadership and curriculum in our township schools.
Dr. Gregory J Przybylski