Due to the pending storm by Hurricane Sandy, Warren Township residents are reminded to prepare for a disaster by creating a family disaster plan.
This plan should include what your family will do if you lose electricity for a week or more. Many of you have purchased generators for your home due to Hurricane Irene that invaded us last year. It is expected that there will be lengthy power outages with this storm.
This storm will become a multi-day storm with high winds, heavy precipitation and flooding across a wide portion of the east coast.
- Residents are encouraged to check all pumps, chain saws, generators, and other emergency equipment.
- Buy extra Water -- one gallon of water per person per day. Fill up bathtub with fresh water.
- Food -- a three day supply of nonperishable food per person that does not require cooking.
- Purchase a car cell phone charger so phone can be charged using DC power
- Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to prevent deadly carbon monoxide gas from building up in your home.
- Tools and Supplies (flashlights, batteries, battery powered radio).
- Clothing and Bedding (one change of clothing per person; one blanket per person)
- Special Items (medications, eyeglasses, baby items, family documents, extra keys, credit card & cash)
Below is a quick reference list of essential needs to assemble a disaster plan. In addition, the following websites can provide more detailed information and suggestions for preparations:
- Somerset County (Click on Emergency Preparedness) www.co.somerset.nj.us
- American Red Cross www.redcross.org
- New Jersey Homeland Security www.njhomelandsecurity.com
Emergency Action Plan:
- Develop a Family Contact List for every member (work, school and cell phone numbers).
- Create an Emergency Contact List (out of area contacts, utility companies, physicians).
- Establish a Reunion Point to meet (outside your home and outside the neighborhood).
- Plan ahead to care for pets (crate, leash, food).
- Know how to turn off water, gas and electricity in your home.
To access emergency information during a disaster, use the following media:
Warren Cable Station at Channel 15 or Channel 44 (FIOS)
Somerset County Emergency Alert System Radio Station: WNJT 88.1 FM
PSE&G Customer Service Line: 1-800-436-7734 to report downed wires or power outages.